Sponsorship must be viewed as a total commitment, not just a partial act of selection.
Sponsorship means to help one become more of a leader for Christ through the Tres Dias experience. As a sponsor, consider the following:
- Recognition that Tres Dias is not for everyone. Offering Tres Dias to someone comes only after I am willing to make a significant commitment to that person. If I am not willing to make that commitment, I should not sponsor.
- Am I willing to make a significant commitment to my candidate Before, During and After the weekend? If I am a member of the team have I found someone to fulfill the sponsor duties during the weekend? (See Weekend Support below)
- Have I honestly looked at my reasons for sponsoring?
- Do I know my candidate, or do I just know about them? My candidate is at least 21 years old.
- Have I prayed for guidance and sought council with other experienced Pescador, if needed? Is this the right time for the candidate?
- Do I feel comfortable sponsoring my candidate’s spouse? (If possible, the applications for married couples should be submitted at the same time to assure placement of the wife on the next women’s weekend.)
- Is your candidate a Christian and has he/she accepted Christ as their personal Savior? Yes____ No______
- Are they actively seeking a closer walk with the Lord? Yes______ No______
Sponsor support on the weekend includes:
- Provide transportation to the pre-arranged pick-up site and from the weekend
- Pray for your candidate at all times
- Provide palanca for the candidate
- Attend closing if possible(or appropriate)
- Provide sufficient palanca from others to receive throughout the weekend
- Offer to help the candidate’s family (baby sitting, meals etc.)
- Notify the candidate’s clergy that he/she will be attending this weekend.
FOURTH DAY SUPPORT
The sponsor should recognize that a long term commitment is being made to the candidate by sending the candidate to Tres Dias. The sponsor should help the new pescador to live the fourth day as it is presented on the weekend, by encouraging the new pescador to be an active and contributing member of a church body, by encouraging him/her to join or form a Reunion Group, attend Secuelas, and become involved in the local secretariat. In general, the sponsor should be responsive to the needs of a new Pescador until the Pescador is well established in the Fourth Day.
And last but not least, thank you for considering sponsorship for someone. It could literally be the weekend that changes their lives forever……